Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I CHANGE NOT!

"For I, the LORD, do not change. Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today, yes and forever. Malachi 3:6a

I don't think I am the only one who has had this experience. You have an acquaintance with whom you have some camaraderie. Time passes and circumstances keep your paths from crossing. The next time you see them they are cold and aloof and you have to win them over and re-establish a connection. This becomes a pattern and you realize that you never know which side of the person is going to show up. God is not like that. Scripture tells us that if we “draw near to God, He will draw near to us.” As the prodigal walked the road toward home the father ran to meet him. God doesn’t change. At this point in my journey with the Lord, I can look back and say, "Your love, your Word, your grace, your discipline in my life has changed me. I needed to change and to be transformed in my thinking and my ways. I have had the humbling experience of hearing my husband say, "You have really changed," and I knew that he meant it as a compliment.

There are people in my life who I love dearly who have changed and it isn't good. The person who was tender hearted is now calloused and hardened by disappointment. Or the heartbreaking change that time brings to an aging parent who is slipping away before our eyes. Life by its very nature brings change. A job ends, our pastor retires, friends move away, a new pastor comes, we have a young family moving into the neighborhood.

Aren't you glad that underneath it all, the Rock beneath our feet stays firm and unchanging? He is perfect in all His ways so why would He change? He is who He says He is and He can do what He says He can do. Thank Him for the glorious stability that He brings to our lives. Count on Him to be the unchanging Constant in your life.

MY PRAYER: Lord you are perfect and there is no need for You to change. Help me not to let anyone or anything diminish You in my heart. Help me to walk in faith that You are who you say You are and You can do what You say You can do. You walked with your disciples in daily life and I know that you are walking with me. You brought healing and deliverance to Your people and You still do. Without faith it is impossible to please You. In Jesus’ name!

MY CONFESSION: Lord, I choose to believe Your Word. You don’t change. I will not accept that You are limited by the time we live in. I will not limit you with unbelief. You are still Savior, Healer, and Deliverer. I stand on Your word!

No comments: