Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Make a Highway

"Let every valley be lifted up, And every mountain and hill be made low; And let the rough ground become a plain, And the rugged terrain a broad valley; Then the glory of the LORD will be revealed, And all flesh will see it together; For the mouth of the LORD has spoken." Isaiah 40:4-5
I have had the privilege of leading and participating in some great Bible studies in my life. Gripped by the Greatness of God by James MacDonald was life changing. He asked us to pray through Isaiah 40:3-5 and to ask the Lord:
1. What voids or areas of deficiency (valley) do I have that needs to be filled?
2. What problems or barriers (mountains and hills) need to be brought down or made low?

I took the questions to the Lord one at a time and in His grace He answered me. The first answer came through a powerful song and as I listened, I sensed the sound of the Savior’s voice. “Carol, you don’t really understand the power of what I have accomplished for you on the cross.” I am deeply hungry to grasp and embrace the enormity of what He has done for me. I don’t know that I can ever plumb the depths of it, but I am beginning to live in the pursuit and experience of it. I am not satisfied with head knowledge. I want to press on to know Him.

The mountain and the hills which are barriers in my life came to me while reading 1 Peter 5:5-6. “You younger men, likewise, be subject to your elders; and all of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, for GOD IS OPPOSED TO THE PROUD, BUT GIVES GRACE TO THE HUMBLE. Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time.” I was really arrested by the words “Clothe yourself in humility toward one another, because God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” God is looking to see how we act or react towards others to determine if our hearts are humble. It is one thing to humble ourselves before a perfect and loving God, but to humble ourselves toward other frail and imperfect human beings to me is more difficult. The word “clothed” in the Greek means to engirdle oneself (for labor), that is, figuratively (the apron being a badge of servitude) to wear (in token of mutual deference). Paul tells us in Philippians 2:3-10 that Jesus left us an example when He humbled Himself by taking on the form of a servant. Take the time to read that beautiful passage. A servant's heart is our greatest protection against pride and arrogance. Jesus was gentle and loving with people but never weak.

What will it take in my life to see the glory (who He is and what He does) of the Lord revealed? I believe He has given me some personal answers. I challenge you to ask Him to show you any hindrances to the revelation of His glory.

MY PRAYER: Lord, I want there to be no hindrances to what you want to do in and through my life. Help me to feast on the truth of your Word. I want the word to become flesh in my life. I want to take it in and live it out. I want to see Your glory.

MY CONFESSION: Through the power of your Spirit and the truth of Your promises, I am removing obstacles and deficiencies that would block the revelation of Your glory. I stand on your word.

No comments: