Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Examine and Hold Fast

1 Thessalonians 5:19-22 Do not quench the Spirit; do not despise prophetic utterances. But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good; abstain from every form of evil. 1 John 4:1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world. Acts 17:11 Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.
We are so blessed to have a wealth of resources available to us as Christians. I love to go on certain websites and hear sermons and teachings by gifted men and women of God that challenge, strengthen, and encourage me in my walk with God. I also have a few people on Christian TV that I love to take a break from my daily activities and watch their programs. There are an enormous number of options and with them come some pitfalls. There is a certain segment that seems to be growing in influence that delights in telling fanciful stories and experiences of a bizarre nature. One thing I have noticed is they often will say or imply that people who are legalistic or have a religious spirit probably won’t believe them or receive what they are saying. They try to squelch discernment by making you feel guilty if you are doubtful. They want you to believe if it is odd then it must be God. I certainly don’t find that attitude in the apostle’s teachings. Over and over again in Scripture they admonish us to examine, test, and prove the things we are being taught to see if indeed they are true. The word of God is our plumb line to see what is crooked and what lines up perfectly with His revealed word. Truth tellers aren’t threatened by examination and careful thought. Luke called the Bereans noble in character because of their eagerness to listen and examine the Scriptures to see if Paul’s teachings lined up with the O.T.

If your Spirit is troubled or doubtful about something you have heard or been taught don’t quench that response. You don’t have to make a snap or forced decision to gullibly swallow everything you are fed. Take the time to pray and search it out. God won’t think you are weak and doubting; He thinks you’re noble.

MY PRAYER: Lord, thank you for the wonderful teachers that have helped me to grow in my understanding of You. You have warned us Lord that there would be those who would seek to lead us astray from the simplicity of the gospel. Help me to verify that what I am taught or even what I think lines up with your written word. Help me to hold fast to that which is good.
MY CONFESSION: I will not be gullible enough to believe every spirit. I will exhibit noble character by testing and proving all things to see if they are true to Your word.

No comments: