Wednesday, November 5, 2008

HE WILL KEEP YOUR SOUL

Be Still My Soul by Selah

He will not allow your foot to slip; He who keeps you will not slumber. The LORD will protect you from all evil; He will keep your soul. The LORD will guard your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forever. Psalm 121:3, 7-8

We’re temporarily in Virginia on a mission trip. I have my laptop and I am sitting on the motel patio looking out at the Chesapeake Bay. There is a stiff breeze coming off the bay and the waves are slapping the shore with a loud emphasis. Since Norfolk is a naval town the waves have to compete with the sound of a helicopter practicing some kind of maneuver that keeps it hovering over the water in one place. It’s too far away to see any of the details that I want to know. Are there sailors or Navy SEALS in the water under the powerful blast of the rotating blades? I can’t make it out. It is comforting to know that those entrusted with our national security and safety are on the job, honing their skills.

Above the comfort of national security is the truly wonderful promise for me and every child of God that He will keep our souls. My soul can tie itself in knots in the changing financial and political climate in which we find ourselves. His Word assures me that He will keep me steady on my feet, and He never sleeps on the job. He will protect and guard us. Anything that is allowed to touch us will be filtered through His fingers of love. He will work all things together for good to those who love Him and to those who are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28 That’s security. I can lay me down in peace and sleep knowing that He alone can truly cause me to dwell in safety. God gives these promises but we have to set our feet on the solid rock of not just hearing but doing. When thoughts try to rob us of the peace that Jesus left us we must not allow it. Our thoughts most bow to the truth of His provision and faithfulness. As a friend of mine wrote me, “We must combat whispered lies with spoken truth.”

MY PRAYER: Father, thank you for exceedingly great and precious promises. Help me to keep my focus on you and not on changing or uncertain circumstances. Help me to take captive every thought and renew my mind with your word.

MY CONFESSION: You will keep in perfect peace the one whose mind is steadfast, because their trust is in you. Isaiah 26:3 I stand on your word!

No comments: