Friday, May 1, 2009

I Gave You an Example

"You call Me Teacher and Lord; and you are right, for so I am. "If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. "For I gave you an example that you also should do as I did to you. "Truly, truly, I say to you, a slave is not greater than his master; neither is one who is sent greater than the one who sent him. "If you know these things, you are blessed if you do them.” John 13:13-17 NAS

We were building a new home because we were going to need more space to care for my husband’s parents. His father had been an invalid for 25 years and my mother-in-law could no longer take care of him because she was increasingly fragile herself. Before we started building she had fallen and hurt herself, so I traveled the nine hours there to help. Taking care of my father-in-law was a daunting task. Because of partial paralysis and poor circulation he would get me up several times a night to rub his feet and then many times during the day. I knew that God had clearly put it on my heart to take care of them, but as I got back home and the reality drew nearer I began to think about being a slave to his feet. Slowly dread and depression began to stalk me. It was nearing Christmas and our work on the house was in full swing. I took a lunch break and turned on the radio to listen to Moody hoping for some Christmas cheer. Erwin Lutzer came on with a word that they played several times during the Christmas season but this was the first time I had heard it. (Of course this isn’t word for word but the best I can remember) this is what I heard Erwin Lutzer say:

THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE BECAUSE….

MARTIN LUTHER DIDN’T SAY,” I DON’T DO DOORS.”
MARY DIDN’T SAY,” I DON’T DO VIRGIN BIRTHS.”
JESUS DIDN’T SAY, “I DON’T DO MANGERS OR CROSSES.”
AND MARY OF BETHANY DIDN’T SAY, “I DON’T DO FEET.”
ANGELS MUST WONDER AT THE HUMILITY OF GOD AND THE PRIDE OF MEN.

I sat there in stunned silence knowing that the Lord had spoken. I was going to follow His example and “do feet.” For the next year and a half until my father-in-law died I did his feet. With a doctor’s advice, we set a better schedule so his feet stayed healthy and so did we. We cared for my dear mother-in-law for seven years. It got wearying at times and I didn’t always do it perfectly, but His presence was never stronger in my life. We knew what He wanted us to do and we were blessed by doing it. If you know that God is calling you to follow His example in a specific but difficult task, don't hesitate. His grace will be sufficient and His presence sweet.

MY PRAYER: Lord, you gave us an example. Though you were God you humbled yourself and took on the form of a servant. It is not in my nature to think or act like a servant. Help me to cultivate a servant’s heart.

MY CONFESSION: Lord, I choose to follow your example. I know these things and I will be blessed as I do them. I stand on your word!

No comments: