Friday, August 14, 2009

Put Off and Put On

"Therefore bring forth fruit in keeping with repentance. Matthew 3:8
You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to his neighbor, for we are all members of one body. Ephesians 4:22-25


I wish I could remember who first taught me the principle of true repentance and renewal. I owe them a debt of gratitude. Their remark that captivated me was this, “You haven’t repented of being stingy until you are generous.” It sharpened for me what John the Baptist meant in “bringing forth fruit in keeping with repentance.

Paul in Ephesians further demonstrates this principle by telling us to put off the old and put on the new in the attitudes of our minds. Then he gives the example that we are to stop lying and start speaking truth. I have been in a situation before where I didn’t tell a lie, but through silence allowed people to think I agreed with them when I didn’t. That isn’t demonstrating the virtue of being truthful. Don’t just stop the negative or sinful, but the replace it with the positive virtue.

Put off a critical attitude/Put on a loving attitude
Put off a complaining attitude/Put on an attitude of gratitude
Put off a doubting attitude/Put on an attitude of faith

Paul encourages us to be made new in the attitude of our minds. We’ve all heard the cliché that attitude determines altitude. Are you feeling low? Check it out. It could be there is something hanging on from our former way of life. We need, by the grace that He is so willing to supply, to put it off and put on the new. We are created to be like Him. Pray for me and I will pray for you. Leave me a note if you need support with a negative attitude. If you prefer private communication email me with your request at carollackland@mtnvu.org

MY PRAYER: Lord, help us to bring forth fruit in keeping with repentance. Help us to put off the old and destructive ways and put on the new. Lord, your ways are right and we embrace and desire to walk in the fruit of your Spirit. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

MY CONFESSION: I will be made new in the attitude of my mind and I will put on the new self, created to be like You in true righteousness and holiness.

No comments: