Wednesday, July 8, 2009

His Joy Remains

"These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full. John 15:11 NKJB

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23 NASB


Recently, at a family reunion, I was standing at the sink doing dishes when a relative working next to me commented that I was humming a song. “That’s what I remember about you whenever we were at your house. You were always humming a song while you worked which would indicate that you are happy.” I said, “Well, I am happy.” Then I realized that wasn’t true, I was actually sad about a couple of things, so I revised my statement, “I’m not always happy, but deep inside I always have joy.” That was and is true.

In the New Testament the word for joy is chara and is described as “cheerful, a calm delight.” We live in a fallen world and in a human family. I get bad news; have my feelings hurt, and face disappointments like anyone else. Jesus loves me through it all and remains my calm delight no matter what winds or storms may be passing through. I’m so glad that my relative’s comment made me reflect a little deeper. It brought up a flood of gratitude for the work of the Holy Spirit in my heart. Part of the fruit of His Spirit is joy. As we trust in His matchless love that is not based on our performance His joy will remain. Let’s take the time today to thank Him for the incredible blessings of His joy deeply resident within us.

MY PRAYER: Lord your joy truly is my strength. I am so grateful it remains within as a deep well of solace through the ups and downs of life. Lord, your presence is everything to me. You are beautiful beyond description. You are too marvelous for words. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

MY CONFESSION: The God of hope will fill me with all joy and peace in believing, that I may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13 I stand on Your Word!

No comments: