Monday, July 27, 2009

RECEIVE THE RIGHT SPIRIT, CHOOSE THE RIGHT FRIEND


Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God. I Corinthians 2:12 But I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you. John 15:15b Therefore, whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. James 4:4b

When we come to a saving (as opposed to a vague acquiescence in our minds to something we’ve heard or been taught) knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ and believe and receive that He is:
· The perfect Son of God
· He took our punishment on the cross
· Gave His blood for the forgiveness of our sin
· Died and rose again
· He is now in heaven at the right hand of the Father
We receive the Spirit who is from God. Ephesians 3:17 tells us that Jesus dwells in our hearts through faith. He becomes our Savior, Lord, and yes, He tells us He will call us His friends. Part of friendship with Jesus is an intimate, impartation of spiritual insight.

I Corinthians 2:12 tells us that we have not received the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God. Oh, how very different those two spirits are. The world system has a spirit (it operates in those who know not God) and to the degree it still holds sway over our sense of self-worth, what we value, and our way of thinking, we will be hampered in our ability to really know the things freely given to us by God. Picture yourself all poised to breathe some clean, pure, invigorating oxygen through a tube, but suddenly you realize someone is standing on the hose. That spirit is not your friend. That spirit calls good evil and evil good. That’s why the world weeps when Michael Jackson dies and only wants to talk about the positive things they believe he did. When someone like Jerry Falwell dies the world will call him divisive, narrow and a homophobe and totally ignores a loyal family man, a thriving church, a growing university and many charitable outreaches that he has left behind. Is it any wonder that James tells us that whoever wishes to be a friend of the world’s system makes himself an enemy of God?

So practically what can we apply from these Scriptures? Breathe them in through reading and declaration. Meditate on them for a day or a week or a month, however the Holy Spirit would lead. Post them on your mirror as you get ready for your day.


· Lord, today I declare that I have received your Spirit so that I may know the things that you have freely given me.
· I am your friend, not the worlds.
· Root out any attitudes, alliances, or allurements that come from the world’s spirit.
· Help me to receive the right Spirit and choose the right Friend.

MY PRAYER: Lord, I thank you that I no longer have to receive the spirit of the world. How can I be friends with or love a system that is so opposed to you? Lord, divided affections dull my ears and harden my heart. I want to hear your still small voice. Holy Spirit help me to recognize and turn away from the world’s clamor that desensitizes me to your ways and your voice. Lord even as you knelt before Peter washing away the defilement picked up on his journey, I ask you to wash away any of the world’s dust and ways that are clinging to me. I receive your Spirit this day that I may know freely the things you have given to me because I am your friend.

MY CONFESSION: I confess boldly today that I am a friend of God. I have chosen sides and I will not be friends with the system that opposes Him. I receive the Spirit who is from God. My ear is tuned to hear His voice. He will make known the Father’s word to me.

No comments: