Friday, February 26, 2010

Abounding and Abundant

But Thou, O Lord, art a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abundant in lovingkindness and truth. Psalm 86:15 NASV
But you, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness. Psalm 86:15 NIV

My next door neighbor and I went to the same church. We both sang in the choir and had formed a good friendship. She had surgery on her neck and was going to be immobilized for several weeks. The choir got together and supplied some meals for Judy and her husband. I cooked a couple of meals and took it to them. It was summer time and my garden was doing well so I took Judy fresh tomatoes and a vegetable casserole. In my mind I had done my part.

A few days later during my quiet time I was using a list of the names of God as a prayer and meditation guide. One of the names that I was meditating on was Abounding and Abundant. I was thinking on all the ways the Lord had been those things to me. Then in my heart I asked the question, “Since I am to be like you, how would those qualities look in my life?” I was going through my day when suddenly the Lord answered my early morning question. In my spirit I sensed Him saying, “I would feed Judy until she is well.” I took a deep breath as I let His response sink in. At that time I was taking care of my mother-in-law who was a complete invalid. I said, “Lord, if you want me to do this I want to do it with joy and not just a sense of obligation.” I told my husband what I felt the Lord was asking me to do and if he was willing to purchase the extra groceries and to help. He got on board with it and for the next couple of weeks I cooked for both our families Monday through Friday. On the weekends her daughter would come and take over.

I had such joy and gladness as I planned and cooked our meals. My husband would load up their portion and take it down when her husband got home from work. They were blessed and so were we.

What did I learn? We can exchange a sense of Christian duty for a vibrant experience of His abounding and abundant love flowing through us. Jesus asked us to go the second mile, to be a cheerful giver, to be as generous as He is. He also said that it was more blessed to give than to receive and we certainly experienced that. Glimpses into His heart may cost us something but it is so worth it.

MY PRAYER: Lord, I don’t want to walk in duty and missed the delight of your abounding and abundant nature flowing through my life. I ask you to reveal yourself to and through me. In Jesus’ name amen.

MY CONFESSION: A slave is not greater than his master. You humbled yourself and came as a servant. You promised that if I know these things I will be blessed if I do them. By Your grace, I will. I stand on Your Word! John 13:16-17

No comments: