Thursday, February 25, 2010

Grace to Match Every Trial


In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by VARIOUS trials, that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 1:6-7 NAS
As each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving one another, as good stewards of the MANIFOLD grace of God. 1 Peter 4:10

It may seem odd that I would put these Scriptures together, but they are linked by a common Greek word. The word in the Greek for various in 1:6 and manifold in 4:10 is the same (poikilos) and the literal meaning is many-colored. The use of the same word in this wonderful hope filled letter from Peter is a beautiful reassurance to us. It lets us know that there is a matching grace for every trial that we face.

Jesus told us in John 16:33 that in this world we would have trouble, but to take heart because He had overcome the world. I never go looking for or expecting troubles but they come anyway. And just as Peter warns they have been many-colored. We’ve had financial and health related problems. We’ve had family and other relational problems. We have had work and legal entanglements. I could go on and on and so could you. I’ve observed this not only in my life but in the lives of others. I have seen the persevering love of a parent for a wayward child. I have seen the loving patience of a husband caring for his dying wife. I have seen people terribly mistreated and yet choosing to walk in a Christ-like manner toward their opponents. Their example has strengthened my faith and honored their Lord.

Peter says that our faith is being tested by the fire we are experiencing. The rigors of our trials are meant to strengthen us and show that our faith is genuine. As I heard Beth Moore say recently, “Fires can burn the fake out of us.”

In times of trial we have to appropriate His promises and expect His grace to be more than sufficient to help us to overcome in a way that honors Him. There is abundant grace to match every trial.

MY PRAYER: Lord, I thank you that you are Emanuel, God With Us. You will never leave us or forsake us. We can count on the sufficiency of your grace for every trial that you allow to touch us. I know that you mean it for our good and Your glory. In Jesus’ name.

MY CONFESSION: When I pass through any fiery trial I will not be burned I will be refined and strengthened. Your grace will be a perfect match for my need. I stand on Your word!

No comments: