Saturday, March 6, 2010

The God Who Sees


Delight yourself in the LORD; and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD, Trust also in Him, and He will do it. Psalm 37:4-5 NASB


My husband and I had made a huge move in our lives. We had given up well paying jobs in Dallas, Texas to live in the mountains of North Carolina. We had a real sense that God was in it and so we made such a life altering change. My husband had been an industrial engineer with the Federal Reserve. He really wasn’t happy in his work. He had a growing desire to work with his hands. Rell wanted to become a builder. He was hired onto the crew of someone who was a well established contractor with a reputation for excellence. As an apprentice, my husband’s income was very modest. We had a two year old daughter and an infant son so while we were getting by, our finances were tight.


It was nearing Easter and I went into the only dress shop in our little town. There hanging in beautiful display were gorgeous Easter ensembles for little girls. There was a dress, a coat, and a hat. They were adorned with smocking, lace and embroidery. I stood there admiring them and realizing that there was no way we could afford anything like that for our little girl. I said in my heart, “Lord, they’re beautiful, but it’s okay, I know that we can’t afford it.” I didn’t mention it to anyone.


A week before Easter I went to the mailbox to find a package hanging on the outside of the mailbox. It was from my mother who lived in another state. She had gone to an outlet store and picked the exact outfit that I had admired the most even though she and I had very different tastes. I was so overwhelmed. It was as though the God of the universe wanted me to know like Hagar in Genesis 16:13b "You are the God who sees me," for she said, "I have now seen the One who sees me." I was grateful to my mom, but in my spirit, I knew that God had shown me His heart and hand. I was learning as a young Christian how intimately acquainted He was with all my ways. I could sense His delight in showing me what an amazing God He truly is. In Daniel 2:21-22 we learn "And it is He who changes the times and the epochs; He removes kings and establishes kings; He gives wisdom to wise men and knowledge to men of understanding. It is He who reveals the profound and hidden things; He knows what is in the darkness, and the light dwells with Him.” He also would take the time to fulfill a little heart wish in a young mother. Isn’t He beautiful?


MY PRAYER: Lord we are told to delight ourselves in You, and we do. You are beautiful beyond description; You are too marvelous for words.

No comments: