Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Asking For Wisdom

James 1:5-8 But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all men generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. For let not that man expect that he will receive anything from the Lord, being a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways. James 3:17But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy.

One of the real gifts to evangelicals was Henry Blackaby’s Bible study Experiencing God. He taught that God speaks through His word, prayer, and our circumstances. He urged the body of Christ to realize that God is still issuing invitations to His people to recognize His activity in this world and how to know when He is inviting us to join Him. God clearly invites us through James to ask Him for the wisdom we lack. We do need to be in God’s word, but knowledge alone is not enough. Knowledge is raw information, but wisdom knows how to use it. Wisdom sees how to apply it to the complexities of life. So ask in faith and don’t doubt His ability to give or your own ability to receive. Sometimes we fall into wrong thinking: “I don’t want to bother God, He is so busy.” Actually we know from Isaiah that He runs the universe seated on His throne. He knows when a sparrow falls and the number of hairs on your head. You are not exasperating Him with your neediness. Have you ever considered that He allows the needs and pressures in your life to draw you into that place where you press in to a deeper relationship with Him? We may think, “I’m not worthy so I don’t think He will speak to me.” We focus on our worthiness when we should be focusing on His great generosity and love. Do you need wisdom? Ask in faith and don’t doubt His goodness. Stand on His Word!

MY PRAYER: Lord, I have asked for wisdom. I thank You in advance that the answer is coming. I need Your great presence in my life to guide me. You are so gracious. Give me ears to hear, eyes to see, and a heart to obey and believe when Your answer comes.

MY CONFESSION: I have asked for wisdom. You promise to give it. My mind and my heart are alert to hear and stand fast on the wisdom that comes from above. I will depend on Your Holy Spirit to illuminate Your answer to my heart and mind. I wait with faith and anticipation. I stand on Your word!

No comments: