Friday, April 9, 2010

Jonah



The Lord has really been speaking to my heart from the book of Jonah. Since I also have grandkids and teach the children at our church, I decided to put the story of Jonah in rhyme. I'm not a poet and I know it, but I do have some fun.


The book of Jonah begins with a word
Nineveh is wicked and the Lord has heard.
He’s appointed a prophet to warn them to turn
But Jonah would really prefer they burn.
He hops a ship going in the other direction
He’s leaving God behind …well that’s his perception.
Running is tiring so Jonah sleeps
God hurls a storm and the boat begins to leak.
The sailors work and the sailors pray
But it seems they’ll not survive the day.
The captain finds Jonah asleep in the storm
He tells Jonah, “This is extremely bad form.
Get up, cry out to the God you cherish.
Don’t you care that we’re about to perish?
Someone has displeased the god of the seas
We’re casting lots to know who that would be.
The lot of course on Jonah fell
So his story he was forced to tell,
“I’m running from the God of sea and land
If you’re looking to blame… then I’m your man.”
The sailors tried to save his hide
But ended up throwing him over the side.
God appointed a fish who of course obeyed
That’s the only reason Jonah was saved.
The fish opened his mouth and Jonah went in
Life gets hard when you choose to sin.
Now he’s wide awake in the dark and
To the Lord’s voice he’s willing to hark.
He's so sorry he avoided God’s plan
So the fish vomits Jonah onto dry land.
God’s word comes to Jonah a second time
Go tell Nineveh though it’s in its prime
In forty days they’ll not be around
If they don’t repent I’m bringing them down.
This time you can believe that Jonah obeys
He gives the warning, “You’ve got forty days.”
From the least to the greatest they believe in Him
Because God is gracious He stays His hand.
Jonah pouts and Jonah prays
Why won’t you let me have my way?
I didn’t want to come and this proves my point
Your mercy on the wicked puts my nose out of joint.
Jonah sits on a hill to wait and see
Maybe the Lord will bring catastrophe.
He tries to get comfortable under a plant
It soothes his soul and it stops his rant.
God sends a worm to eat its leaves
This makes Jonah bitterly grieve.
“Jonah,” God says in a tender way,
“The death of a plant causes such dismay?
How much more a city great and tall
Filled with people, the old and small?”
We may judge and think Jonah’s not too smart
He had God’s message, but not God’s heart.
There the story ends but it gives me a thrill
To think what would happen on another hill.
One greater than Jonah would come and plea
But He would never just wait and see.
He would love and He would cherish
He died for our sin so we won’t perish.










No comments: