Thursday, April 15, 2010

My Holy Editor


I will bless the LORD at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalm 34:1 NASB Who is the man who desires life, and loves length of days that he may see good? Keep your tongue from evil, and your lips from speaking deceit. Psalm 34:12-13 NASB

I am reading 1 Peter this morning and in chapter three Peter quotes verses 12 and 13 out of Psalm 34. The subject is the tongue and it wasn’t lost on me that it follows Peter’s instructions to husbands and wives in how to live with one another.

We have just finished James MacDonald’s study, Lord, Change My Attitude. Our small group leader asked what primary impact the study had on each of us. I shared that God once again was working on me to rein-in my critical comments and reign over my tongue. I believe that I have made huge progress over the years, but to say that I have arrived would not be true. I shared with the group that in particular God was moving strongly over my private conversations with my husband. I am not talking about being critical of my husband. I sense the Lord asking me not to share my “take” or “insights” i.e. judgments on events, people, or situations that are negative in nature and offer no solution and which neither of us can correct. It is amazing how many words have been stopped from coming out of my mouth. I believe I have a new name to praise Him with, My Holy Editor.

My husband and I went to an event together that I found very odd. I could have spent half an hour dissecting all the things that I thought were strange about it. The Lord spared my husband’s and heaven’s ears by helping me to zip it and just tell him what I enjoyed.

I want to have a mouth that is a blessing to God and to others. Does that mean we can’t address real issues with the aim to solve a problem or improve a situation? No, but if our remarks aren’t part of the solution they should be left unsaid…even in the privacy of our closest relationships.

MY PRAYER: Lord, may the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight. I want my lips to speak words that bless. Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. Fill my heart with grace so that I don’t harbor a critical spirit.

MY CONFESSION: Lord, people were struck with wonder at the gracious words that fell from your lips. Luke 4:22 You are my Holy Editor, I will cooperate with you to remove anything that is unworthy from my conversations. I want to be like you.

No comments: