Thursday, July 15, 2010

How Do You Know God is True?

How do you know God is true?
I could tell a tale or two
How 'bout you?
Cause when your life's on the line
You gotta know He's there for you
Every time, I'll be reminding you

“Songs From the Loft” 1993



I was recently given an iPod shuffle by my daughter and her husband for Mother’s Day. Amazing little gadget. It is unbelievably small, talks to you, and can store and play up to 500 songs.They know how much I enjoy listening to worship music and thought I would love it. I do. Makes mowing the lawn a much happier experience. I can go for a walk and it just slips in my pocket and I’m in heaven.

When I was choosing my songs to download I came across an old gem from 1993 called How Do You Know? I’ve included the lyrics from the chorus. It’s a simple upbeat song, but holds a real nugget of truth. We can use Bible narratives and personal experiences of God’s deliverance and provision to encourage others.

So many people are going through hard times right now. I am praying for people in financial stress, a family desperate for work, some are fighting serious and life threatening illnesses or injuries. Others are experiencing the heartbreak of alienation from love ones. We always have to be sensitive when we are giving encouragement not to be trite or downplay the seriousness of their situation. Pray and seek for opportunities to point them to God's promises and His amazing history of faithfulness and provision.

I recently solicited prayer on the behalf of a family member seriously injured in a motorcycle accident. God answered those prayers in a miraculous way. I sent out the letter from the father describing how God had intervened and thanking them for their prayers. So many responded to his letter telling how it encouraged them to believe God for their own situations. That reminds of what the Apostle Paul writes in 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort; who comforts us in all our affliction so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. How do we know God is true and sufficient to sustain us in every trial? I’ve got a tale or two. How about you? Use those things to comfort and strengthen others.
MY PRAYER: Lord, great is your faithfulness. We have tried you and found your promises are true, you are everything that you said that you would be. Help us to encourage others with the encouragment you have given us. In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments: