Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving from a Grateful Heart

I am sitting in my son’s living room watching my newest little granddaughter sleeping in her mother’s arms. She is healthy, happy and beautiful. She lives in a nurturing environment with a sound roof over her head and plenty in her tummy. I don’t take that for granted. Many in our world aren’t always so blessed.

For many years now we have sponsored a Compassion child in India. We hope that we have improved the lot of a child whose parents love him as much as we love our children. I’m not saying this to pat ourselves on the back, but just to say, “God has been so faithful to us, how can we not extend that blessing to others?”

Like every family we have had some highs and lows, but the anchor of our souls has held us secure and steadfast. My oldest grandchild has overcome a serious eye problem. I am so grateful that our niece came through melanoma surgery and is doing well. My brother-in-law had open heart surgery without complications. This very week my sister and her husband are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. I just finished up Jesus the One and Only with a great group of women and leaders. I hope we all head into the holidays all the richer for studying the beautiful life, death, and resurrection of the Word made flesh. It was an incredibly rich experience yet we can never plumb the depths of all that He is.

I am grateful most of all to the Lord Jesus Christ for all that He has done in His mighty saving grace in this woman’s life. I have no idea where I would be if He had not intervened and rescued me from the lost and destructive path that I once was on. Truly I can sing, “Amazing grace how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost, but now I am found, was blind but now I see.”

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving Day, even if you are in or from a country that doesn’t have our tradition. The God of the whole earth is worthy to be thanked for His incredible faithfulness.

No comments: