Thursday, November 4, 2010

Receive Like a Child


"Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it at all." Mark 10:15 NASB

Yesterday I had the privilege of taking care of 3 children under the age of four. Their parents are moving and needed someone to be in-house to keep them safe and occupied while big furniture was being taken out. Their mom needed to be free to clean the rooms when the furniture was moved out and of course the endless packing of clothes and kitchen items.

We go to church together but didn’t know each other very well. We finally had some interaction through fall Bible studies my husband and I are leading. So when I showed up at their house the children didn’t know me at all. It took them about 20 minutes to get totally comfortable with me. They are great children; very bright, well-behaved and grateful to have the undivided attention of a grandmotherly (that would be me) person in the house. By the end of a very long day, we were totally bonded. That felt free to come and snuggle in my lap. There is just nothing like having a child seek a moment with their heads on your shoulder. Just quiet for a few minutes before they are off and busy again.

As I was overseeing their baths the oldest little girl looked up with a big smile and said, “It’s nice to meet you.” A little later she said, “I’m glad you got to come to my house today.” My heart just melted. How great was that? Her mom overheard the last statement and said, “We have been so busy they really needed a day like today where they have someone’s undivided attention.” Then their oldest boy who looked so tired came up and asked, “Would you rub my back?” I just loved it.
On the way home I thought to myself, “Lord I think I understand much better why you said we must become like a little child.” They were trusting, accepting, love sponges who didn’t try to disguise their needs. Even though I was tired at the end of the day I felt so blessed. What a gift to give, and have it so readily accepted. How many times would the Lord pour His care out on us if we would humbly receive it like a child? He’s so much more worthy of our trust and dependence than any mortal person no matter how well intentioned.

MY PRAYER: Help us to trust You with a childlike trust Lord. Help us not to refuse what you so freely give because we won’t humble ourselves and ask. Free us to seek quiet moments with you where we are just snuggled in enjoying Your comfort and presence. In Jesus’ name, amen.

No comments: