Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Religion is Basically Guilt

I am a collector of good quotes. I found one this morning that I absolutely loved.

All religions are the same: religion is basically guilt, with different holidays. ~Cathy Ladman

Cathy is a comedian and I am sure she was trying to be funny as well as speak the truth as she has observed it.

You may be surprised that I agree 100 percent. I was raised in a Protestant church. I grew up filled with guilt. That really is all religion is good for.

· I knew the stories but not the Great Storyteller.
· I knew the basics of how to be saved, but I didn’t know the Savior.
· I knew the list of do’s and don’ts. I didn’t know the One who canceled out the written code consisting of decrees against me and which was hostile to me; and He had taken it out of the way, having nailed it to His cross. Colossians 2:14

The kindest thing the Lord ever did for me was allow my religious veneer to be stripped off so one day I could come into a true relationship with Him.

Romans 8:1“There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” His Holy Spirit will convict us when we fall short. He will be specific and empowering. We confess that we have blown it and allow Him to wash our feet from defilement. There is no need to be weighed down by guilt or condemnation. No one is perfect. Our right standing with God is still dependent on what Christ did for us on the cross.

The blood that Jesus shed for me, way back on Calvary, the blood that gives me strength from day to day, it will never lose it power. We find mercy and grace continuously as we look to the finished work of Christ on the cross. No guilt. My sins not in part, but the whole are nailed to the cross and I bear them no more, praise the Lord! Praise the Lord, Oh my soul.

If you are reading this and you do not know the beauty of a relationship with Jesus Christ I ask you to enter in. There is only one way. Jesus said, “No man can come to the Father but through Me.” John 14:6 Repent, admit you have sinned and gone your own way and made a mess of things. Believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God sent to live a sinless life and to give Himself for us. He paid our debt so that we may have peace with God. Enter into a love relationship with Him. Read his letter to you. Talk to him in prayer. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path. No condemnation. Receive His forgiveness and cleansing. No religious guilt needed. Walk with the Master. He said His yoke is easy and His burden is light. He meant it.

No comments: