Saturday, September 26, 2009

Wise or Foolish/Knowing and Doing

"Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine, and acts upon them, may be compared to a wise man, who built his house upon the rock. Matthew 7:24 “And everyone who hears these words of Mine, and does not act upon them, will be like a foolish man, who built his house upon the sand. Matthew 7:26 NASB

The last month or so, I have had some disconcerting experiences. I have been in conversations with several believers who were asking for advice or comfort. I am not fond of religious clichés and diligently try to avoid them. So, when I replied or endeavored to meet the need with a biblical viewpoint or admonition I was met with, “I know that, or they know that….but…..the situation isn’t resolved, it isn’t working out the way I want, I feel abandoned by God, angry with God, etc.” It seems that many believers think knowing The truth or A truth is the same as living by the light of that truth. In the situations that I have found troubling the truth is known but not applied. That seems so simple but the most profound truths always are: true wisdom applies what is known to the daily nitty-gritty’s of life. That’s why the apostle John would say, “I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth.” 3 John 1:4 Notice he didn’t say, “I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children knowing the truth.” Huge difference.

The deepest regrets of my life have come from knowing the truth and not living in accordance with that truth. Paul warns us, “If anyone supposes that he knows anything, he has not yet known as he ought to know; but if anyone loves God, he is known by Him.” 1 Corinthians 8:2-3 Let’s be humble enough when told a truth we already know not to assume that it’s being applied to our current challenge. Let’s be wise builders. In Jesus’ parable both men heard, but only one acted wisely. Let’s walk in the truth and we will find a firm rock under out feet instead of shifting sand of human wisdom and opinion. It will be the difference between standing and falling.

MY PRAYER: Lord, help us to walk humbly with you and those who would try to encourage us. Give us the wisdom to apply what You have taught us. Keep us from deceiving ourselves. In Jesus’ name, amen.

MY CONFESSION: I will be wise. I will hear your words and I will act on them. I will survive any storm. I stand on Your Word!


No comments: