Monday, October 19, 2009

Controlled by Love

For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this, that one died for all, therefore all died; and He died for all, that they who live should no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. 2 Corinthians 5:14-15
The unfolding of Scripture is a beautiful story of redemption. We are told in the gospel of John 21:25 that if everything Jesus did in His life, death, and resurrection were described in detail, that even the world itself would not be able to contain the books that would be written. How can we grasp so great a salvation? We absorb one beautiful truth at a time.
Today let’s think about the implications of Christ dying for us so that in God’s economy we all died. We become new creatures raised to walk in newness of life. The more we comprehend and meditate on all that He has done for us, the more our love and gratitude becomes the motivating factor. That overwhelming love transforms us into grateful followers who no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on our behalf.
How do I live this out? How do these celestial, high-minded truths play out on the dusty streets of our world? Jesus was so simple in His directions that anyone can follow them. Offer a cup a cold water, visit the sick, visit the prisoner, feed the hungry, bring some companionship and help to the widow. Interact with compassion where you are. We do what Jesus would do if He were here. He is you know…..He’s urging us on with whispers and commands and the power of His Holy Spirit to be His hands and feet.

MY PRAYER: Lord Jesus your love has me in its grip. Because you died for me it is only right that I would live for you. As I move through my day I want to be motivated by that love to serve you by being available to serve others. Holy Spirit, help me not to lose my focus. Remind me that I am no longer motivated by self-interest. You died for me so that I might die to myself. You rose again so that I could have new life. In Christ’s name! MY CONFESSION Your love controls me. Today I will live for You and not for myself. I will walk in Your resurrection power with a heart motivated by gratitude. I stand on Your Word.
MY CONFESSION: Your love controls me. Today I will live for You and not for myself. I will walk in Your resurrection power with a heart motivated by gratitude. I stand on Your Word.

No comments: