Thursday, October 15, 2009

Fragrant Perfume

Now when Jesus was in Bethany, at the home of Simon the leper, a woman came to Him with an alabaster vial of very costly perfume, and she poured upon His head as He reclined at the table. Matthew 26:6-7 But Jesus, aware of this, said to them, "Why do you bother the woman? For she has done a good deed to Me."For the poor you have with you always; but you do not always have Me."For when she poured this perfume upon My body, she did it to prepare Me for burial. "Truly I say to you, wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done shall also be spoken of in memory of her." Matthew 26:10-13

This morning I was reading the story of Jesus being anointed by Mary. I have always loved this account. I am emboldened by her passion and I am astonished by His pronouncement that He was writing Mary into His story. She lavished Him with love and He lavished her with honor and the promise her deed would never be forgotten.

I decided to read a commentary of the account. I found a little gem that I wanted to pass on. I had never thought of her deed in the light of how we treat one another. Don’t store up precious vials of gratitude and love but lavish them on the living while you can.
“If my friends have alabaster boxes laid away, full of fragrant perfumes of sympathy and affection, which they intend to break over my dead body, I would rather they would bring them now in my weary and troubled hours, and open them, that I may be refreshed and cheered, while I need them and can enjoy them. I would rather have a plain coffin without a flower, and a funeral without an eulogy, than a life without the sweetness of love and sympathy. My son, learn to anoint your friends before their burial. Post-mortem kindness cannot cheer the burdened spirit. Flowers on a coffin shed no fragrance backward over the weary way loved ones have traveled.” (Frances E. Tyner).

MY PRAYER: Lord, you want us to be rich in good deeds toward one another. Help me to have a grateful spirit, first toward you because you are so worthy. Then, help me to express my gratitude and love towards those you place in my life. I want to be a fountain of refreshment and blessing to others. Help me not to wait until it is too late.

MY CONFESSION: Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. I have a grateful heart. Out of my mouth comes blessings, encouragement and thanksgiving. The Holy Spirit will enable me to comfort and encourage now while there is still time.

No comments: