Monday, November 9, 2009

Becoming a Second Miler

"And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two." Matthew 5:41 NKJV

Jesus is speaking to his disciples about the Roman practice of commandeering civilians or their property (horses, oxen, camels, carts, etc.) to carry the luggage or equipment of military personnel for, in this case, one mile. Can you imagine how the Jews would chafe under a Roman soldier compelling them to such an inconvenience? I have to ask myself what would have been my attitude? I think I know. But Jesus………………..turns it all around. He tells us to totally change our attitude and go an extra mile. Can you imagine the impact such an attitude would have on the one use to being met with grim faced grudging compliance?

How many times do we forfeit a great opportunity to be a second miler? It is all about attitude and having no greater aim than to make our Jesus known. I don’t know what that would look like in your life or mine. It may be to allow that person behind you in the long pharmacy line who doesn’t look well to move ahead of you. It may be how you respond to a demanding spouse or employer. I don’t know. I do know the One who does know. What if we did something dangerous and asked Him what it would actually look like in our lives? What if we invited Him in to highlight the opportunities we have to become second milers? Are we willing? I would think there is an adventure in store for any who will ask in faith believing and then walk with Him to carry out what He shows us.

My Prayer: Lord, your ways are not our ways, and your thoughts are not our thoughts. We invite your presence through your Spirit to highlight our opportunities to go the second mile with those who need to see you. Teach us your ways for your glory. In Jesus’ name amen.

My Confession: Teach me Thy way, O LORD; I will walk in Thy truth; and will glorify Thy name forever. I stand on your Word! Psalm 86:11a, 12b

No comments: