Monday, December 28, 2009

Order of Importance

I suppose reflection is a good thing. There are times that we need to step back and evaluate where we have been, and what we have accomplished. The end of a year always seems to put me in a reflective mood. The start of a new year is like a beautiful new journal with crisp blank pages poised to receive the story of our lives.
Last year went by at warp speed and it truly seems to me that it was only six months ago that I broke my ankle. In reality that happened the first week of January 2009. I'd never broken a bone, never been seriously sidelined by any health issue. It reminds me that I can plan, but not always forsee or control what comes into my life. What I can count on is a God who is so faithful and kind. What seemed bad turned into something very good in His hands. My husband was wonderful, our friends supportive and helpful. The time to "be still and know that He is God" brought forth some valuable things within and without as He worked it together for my good and His glory.
So as we sit poised to enter a new year I know that foremost in my heart and mind is to keep Him first. I want to show Him with every choice, every thought, and every action that He is the most important person in my life. With that in mind, I went back and read something I wrote eight months ago.
Why would I go to other wells when He is the fountain of Living Water. Why would I read about the vapid lives of self-seeking people when I will never be able to plumb the depths of all that He is and wants to be to me? I want to be done with lesser things and truly allow Him to be Lord of the years left to me.
Love,
Carol
"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added to you. Matthew 6:33 NASB
'Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him, and will dine with him, and he with Me. Revelation
3:20
I asked the Lord today what He wanted to say to me and what He would want me to convey to any who would stop by my blog. The above verse from Matthew came to mind. How simple and basic. After I became a new Christian, I believe the first song I was taught came from this verse and I sang it with a fervent desire for it to be true of me and my husband. We would seek His kingdom and His righteousness. He would be first in importance to me, first in my thoughts and first in my time. I would trust Him to add to us the things He was well aware that we needed.

I have thought about this a lot throughout the day. I reflected on the way I very often get up and go check my email, peruse the headlines, and then have my quiet time. I don’t know about you, but I can get into reading and answering emails and half an hour has gone by and I don’t know how that happened. I believe His Spirit is asking, “Consistently put me first in the order of your day again.” He really does deserve that from me. We never know what a day will bring. Those precious early times before the household stirs and the phone rings, allow my spirit to be still and know that He is God. I open the door and He comes in and we dine together in His word and prayer. If something is going to be left undone, I don’t want it to be our special time together. Sometimes we get thrown a curve and we are catapulted into our day, I’m not talking about that. When we have a choice, put Him first. I can’t wait to honor Him in that way.

MY PRAYER: Lord, I hear your voice calling to me to open my heart first to you each morning. I am so sorry that I have let other things intrude. Thank you for your gracious presence in my life. Restore that first love inclination of my heart, in Jesus’ name, amen.

MY CONFESSION: I will listen for your knock; I will hear your voice and open the door to you. You promise that you will come in and that we will dine together. I stand on your Word!

No comments: