Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Small Acts in Big Hands

I wrote this earlier this year but think that it would be appropriate to post it again. The Christmas season is unusually ripe with opportunities to reach out with His love. Remember little is much in His hands.
Ecclesiastes 11:1 Cast your bread on the surface of the waters, for you will find it after many days.
Galatians 6:9-10 And let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we shall reap if we do not grow weary. So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all men, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith.

I have been a Christian many years and I have never really been called upon to do anything grand or heroic. I’ve tried to be faithful to who God called me to be. I have endeavored to use whatever resources or gifts that I have to serve Him. Sometimes resources were very slim, but God let me know that He can use small gestures in a big way. We have the example of the young lad who gave Jesus his lunch. Five loaves and two fish weren’t much, but when Jesus added his blessing and touch it went further than the little boy could have dreamed.

Recently, at a restaurant, a woman came to our table to let me know that my name had come up in a Bible study. The conversation involved a time I took a plate of cookies to someone who had moved to my neighborhood. The woman had expressed how much it meant to her that someone would do that. She was in a dark place in her life and God had used it to encourage her. This event had taken place twenty years before. I couldn’t believe someone would remember such a small thing that had taken place so long ago.

Engage in acts of kindness and thoughtfulness no matter how small they may seem to you. If his Spirit lives in you there is such power in simple things. Jesus said even a cup of water offered in His name would have a reward. Don’t wait for some “big” assignment. Be faithful in the little things. I am sure one day we will be amazed to find out what He did with them.

MY PRAYER: Lord, it says in your Word that You went about doing good. We are your hands and feet. Direct our path and help us to know that whatever is done in your name will bear fruit.

MY CONFESSION: I will not lose heart in doing the right thing. Your Word promises there will be a harvest. I stand on Your Word!

No comments: