Saturday, December 12, 2009

Pull in the Oars, Put up the Sails

But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh. For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law. Galations 5:16-18
I have been reading Neil Anderson's excellent book Victory Over the Darkness (Realizing the Power of Your Identity in Christ). I just had to share a quote that gave me a strong mental picture and encouragement for today.
  • The process of walking in accordance with your true identity in Christ is called walking in the Spirit. How do we walk in the Spirit? This is probably one of the most difficult topics to get a handle on. There's a sense of mystery here that we will probably never fully understand. The apostle John said (quoting Jesus): "The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit." (John 3:8). Trying to reduce life in the Spirit to a formula is like trying to capture the wind. Perhaps we will do best just to, as one man said, "pull in the oars and put up the sail." Instead of trying so hard to nail down all the details of the spiritual life, let's focus on trusting Christ and let Him move us along in the right direction. page 89

It may be you need a reminder like I did this morning, "Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalm 46:10 I needed to stop trying to figure everything out and reduce it to a formula I can wrap my mind around. If we need wisdom He encourages us with a promise from James that He will give it. I don't know about you but I am ready to pull in the oars and put up the sail.

MY PRAYER: Come Holy Spirit and blow upon my life today. I have pulled in my oars of self-effort and raised my sail in anticipation of your leading presence. In the name above all names.

MY CONFESSION: I will stop my striving and know that you are God, You will be exalted among the nations, You will be exalted in the earth as well. I stand on Your Word!

No comments: