Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Word Comes in the Wilderness

Now in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, when Pontius Pilate was governor of Judea, and Herod was tetrarch of Galilee, and his brother Philip was tetrarch of the region of Ituraea and Trachonitis, and Lysanias was tetrarch of Abilene,Luke 3:2 in the high priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas, the word of God came to John, the son of Zacharias, in the wilderness. Luke 3:1-2 NASB

Luke gives the political and religious backdrop that surrounded the ministry of John and it was not a happy or encouraging picture. Both realms were filled with corruption and men of odious character. Nevertheless, the word of God came to John in the wilderness. That should bring us encouragement and hope in the middle of our own circumstances.

Wherever you are and whatever your circumstances….don’t despair. We cannot sit around thinking we are totally at the mercy of the times or situations we find ourselves living in. Get your eyes off the circumstances and get your eyes fixed firmly on, to quote Roy Hessions, the “Bread who is always looking for the hungry.” The word of God came to John in the wilderness and He will come to us as well.

I have found myself at times in my life making excuses for my lack of progress and growth in my faith because of my circumstances. I know now that I am as close to the Lord as I really want to be period. God makes a way for the hungry and honest heart. He always has and He always will no matter what.

If you are reading this on the internet and you aren’t really being fed in your church and don’t have a good alternative, there are wonderful sermon resources you can access. We do benefit from those who can speak deeply into our lives. Find those messages that build you up and challenge you in your faith.

Open your Bible and ask God to speak to you and teach you. Stand on His promise from Revelation 3:20 “Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him, and will dine with him, and he with Me.”

Bring a hunger for Him, and open your mouth wide; He will fill it.

Psalm 81:10 “I, the LORD, am your God, Who brought you up from the land of Egypt; Open your mouth wide and I will fill it.” We stand on your word, Lord. In Jesus name, amen.

No comments: